By Rob Webber - Last updated on
MoneySavingPro independently researches the products & services to bring you our recommendations. We may earn money when you click our links - disclosure policy.
No data cap
Price for life option
Speed choices up to Gigabit
Access to over 2 million hotspots
Services only a few states
Limited plan selection
If you live in New York, New Jersey, or Connecticut, finding a reliable internet service shouldn't be a chore.
Luckily, you have options, as Optimum services your area. We've gone ahead and compiled the important data, molding it all into a comprehensive guide that is easy to digest.
We'll summarize the pros and cons of Optimum's internet packages to help you decide if this is the best internet service provider in your area.
Optimum internet packages in 2023
Optimum internet service
Optimum internet only plans
Optimum internet deals(Video) YouTube TV’s DVR Is Unique | Why It Matters to You
Optimum internet speeds
Optimum internet service
Optimum internet plans offer much in the way of variety, but these plans come with the promotional pricing for only a year.
Optimum internet only plans
|Optimum Internet 300||300 Mbps||$39.99|
|Optimum Internet 500||500 Mbps||$59.99|
|Optimum Internet 1 GIG||1000 Mbps||$79.99|
Optimum TV & internet packages
|Optimum Internet 300 + Basic TV||300 Mbps||50||$75|
|Optimum Internet 1000 + Basic TV||1000 Mbps||50||$90|
|Optimum Internet 500 + Basic TV||500 Mbps||50||$90|
|Optimum Internet 300 + Core TV||300 Mbps||200||$115|
|Optimum Internet 300 + Select TV||300 Mbps||290||$135|
A great way to save on cable internet service to bundle it with other offerings from Optimum such as digital cable (Optimum TV; you can view Optimum's channel lineup here) and/or Optimum Voice.
Optimum internet deals
Further, by combining services such as the Optimum Voice home phone service with Optimum internet service and Optimum TV, you have the best chance of saving money since internet service providers like Optimum offer their most competitive pricing on bundles.
Optimum internet speeds
Optimum offers high-speed internet service in the tri-state area. As part of its service, you have access to a wide range of speeds, making it a great choice if you want to engage in a variety of online behaviors such as video chat, playing video games online, streaming movies and more.
By understanding your home's internet needs and speeds, it allows you to choose a high-speed internet connection that aligns most with your preferences so you don't experience lags in service.
Optimum internet availability
Use our availability checker to find internet providers by zip code. Or check out the Optimum coverage map.
Optimum internet in my area
|States Covered||4 states|
|Internet Speeds||200Mbps - 1,000Mbps (varies by area)|
- High-speed internet: Optimum internet plans offer cable and fiber, with fast internet speeds at an affordable price. However, speeds can vary so it's best to check coverage in your area.
- No data cap: All Optimum internet deals come with no data caps.
- Download speeds: Speeds can vary depending on where you live, but Optimum internet plans start from 100 Mbps ranging up to 1 Gig. You can check your area with our Optimum internet speed test, to see if you can get Optimum fiber internet or cable at your home.
- Monthly costs: There's a variety of reasonably priced internet plans starting from around $19.99 a month.
- Coverage: Covering NYC and surrounding areas, you can use our coverage map to check Optimum availability in your area.
- No contracts: Optimum prepaid internet plans come with no long-term commitments or tie-ins, so there's no worry of early termination fees.
- Bundle your services: If you're looking to get a TV and landline, Optimum doesn't offer these as standalone. However, you'll find plenty of Optimum bundle deals that can give you access to these services so you can mix and match your ideal package.
- TV packages: You can choose from Optimum Core TV, Optimum Select TV, and Optimum Premier TV bundles, depending on the channels and features you're looking for.
- TV channel lineup: Optimum TV packages have 420+ channels. The Optimum channel lineup includes popular channels CBS, NBC, The CW, Hallmark Channel, AMC, FX, and many more. You can choose to add on premium channels like Cinemax for an additional fee.
- VoIP: Optimum home phone is a digital service (Voice over Internet Protocol) and offers crystal clear sound.
- Calling features: Expect plenty of features including free 411 calls and E911.
- Unlimited calling: Local and long-distance unlimited calling in the US, Canada, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands.
- Customer service: Find out more about customer satisfaction and what Optimum customers say with Optimum reviews.
- Compare: You can find out more about Optimum services and their main competitors with Verizon FiOS vs Optimum.
Optimum internet equipment & fees
Optimum includes a few things in their starter pack when you sign up:
- Optimum App - You'll be able to stream live television or watch On Demand programming on the go thanks to the Optimum App. The Optimum App is included free of charge with your digital cable package. What's also included is multi-room DVR.
- Smart Router - What makes this router special is it becomes your home's WiFi hub, where you can connect all your internet devices wirelessly. Furthermore, Optimum upgrades its software regularly so you'll have the most up-to-date technology for faster internet speeds and better security.
- McAfee - With this protection, you can browse the internet with confidence knowing you have the latest security tools working to keep your information protected.
- Extended McAfee Protection - In addition, you can install the security software on up to 20 internet devices such as your smartphones, tablets, and PCs. Perks of this benefit include: Data encryption, anti-virus/anti-spyware, firewall, device protection, and file shredder
- Parental Controls - Optimum's parental control feature allows parents to monitor what their children do online. In addition, it also offers instant messaging monitoring and controls so you can restrict the type of content you don't want your children to view online.
- Free Email Accounts - Depending on the package of your choice you could have up to 15 email accounts with 5GB of storage.
Overall, Optimum offers a full complement of perks with its internet service from security features to WiFi hotspots to appeal to diverse needs.
Optimum internet customer service
If you encounter technical issues or have general questions, you can contact Optimum by calling its customer service line or doing the live chat feature.
The American Customer Satisfaction Index states Optimum is one of the best internet providers in terms of customer service. In its study, it ranked Cablevision's Optimum internet with a 69 ranking.
What's more, it received a 13.1 percent increase in satisfaction from 2015 to this year. This shows that while Optimum does have its share of problems, the cable provider is making strides to improve things and its customers are noticing it.
Optimum internet plans FAQs
What is the best Optimum internet plan?
Optimum offers a wide range of internet packages with different internet speeds and prices to suit most people's needs.
How much does Optimum internet cost?
Optimum offers internet plans with prices starting at $29.99 per month.
Does Optimum offer internet only plans?
Yes, Optimum has internet only plans.
Is Optimum internet good?
Optimum has a wide variety of internet plans and speeds to meet most household needs. With no-contract plans, there's no risk to try its services to see if it is right for you.
When you sign up for its internet service, you receive an ample array of benefits like internet protection, a free wireless router, access to many Wi-Fi hotspots and email accounts with storage.
Of course, make sure to read the reviews and opinions from Optimum customers to get a feel for how the company operates.
Optimum company details
|Company Name||Altice (successor of Cablevision)|
|Headquarters||1111 Stewart Ave., Bethpage, NY 11714|
|Phone Number||(888) 492-9415|
|Website||Go to Website|
|Wikipedia||Go to Wikipedia|
|Go to Facebook|
|Go to Twitter|
Rob has 15+ years experience in the US and UK running price comparison sites for cell phone plans, smartphone deals, TV, and internet. He loves thinking outside of the box to build tools that empower consumers to make more informed decisions.
What is the cheapest Optimum internet package? ›
What is the cheapest Optimum package? The cheapest internet-only Optimum package is Optimum 300 (cable) or Fiber Internet 300. Each costs $40.00 a month and has download speeds up to 300 Mbps.What is the best Optimum plan? ›
The best Optimum Wi-Fi plans are Optimum 300 and Optimum 1 Gig. Optimum 300 ($40 per month) offers the best value for most households, while Optimum 1 Gig has fast 940 Mbps maximum download speeds.How do I negotiate with Optimum? ›
You can call Optimum at +1-866-218-3259 to try and lower your bill by saying you'll hop to competitors like Verizon Fios, but your odds of success depend on everything from your neighborhood to the agent you're talking with. Check out our customer service negotiation guide for tips when you're haggling with Optimum.What is the price of Optimum? ›
|500 Mbps Fiber Internet||$129.99||500 Mbps|
|1 Gig Fiber Internet||$139.99||940 Mbps|
|Fiber Optimum 2528||$69.99||25 Mbps|
|Fiber Optimum 5029||$74.99||50 Mbps|
What is clear: Optimum's 1 Gig plan is $10 per month cheaper than Verizon Fios's Gigabit Connection. If you've gotta have near gig speeds, Optimum is the more affordable way to go.Does Optimum give you a free router? ›
For subscribers needing Internet service, Optimum Online provides speeds that range from 60 to 400 Mbps that includes a leased modem, free router, email, and access to Optimum WiFi hotspots.How do you request best price? ›
- Use a positive tone. It's important you keep a positive tone throughout your negotiation letter. ...
- Compliment the supplier. ...
- Explain your perspective. ...
- Request a discount. ...
- Set clear terms. ...
- Hint at an incentive. ...
- Choose a date for a response. ...
- Get to know your supplier.
- What the Experts Say. ...
- Make small talk. ...
- Don't try to buy love. ...
- Be creative. ...
- Stress “we” over “I” ...
- Ask questions… ...
- Walk in the other person's shoes. ...
- Principles to Remember.
- Drop to a cheaper cable package. ...
- Supplement your cable package with other services. ...
- Bundle TV and internet services. ...
- Sign a contract. ...
- Shop around for a better cable provider or package. ...
- Ask for a discount from your cable provider. ...
- Negotiate with your cable provider. ...
- Threaten to leave your cable provider.
According local Connecticut news platform The Hour, the cable operator has begun informing Optimum customers in its region that the price of the “Broadcast Basic” tier will be increasing by as much as $6 a month. Surcharges are going up, too.
Is Spectrum cheaper than Optimum? ›
Spectrum's plans appear more expensive than Optimum's. For example, Spectrum charges $89.99 per month for the first 12 months for gigabit internet, while Optimum is around $25 less.How much does Optimum charge for a modem? ›
Optimum charges $4.95/month to $9.95/month as rental fee for their leased modems. Save on these rental fees by purchasing your own Cable Modem.Is Xfinity better than Optimum? ›
Comparing Optimum and Xfinity internet, both offer similar speeds with the exception of Optimum's entry-level offering of 300Mbps compared to Xfinity's 200Mbps basic plan. Their biggest differentiators, in addition to the areas they serve, are their prices. Optimum is considerably less expensive than Xfinity.Which internet is faster Optimum or Verizon? ›
Key Differences Between Verizon Fios and Optimum
Verizon Fios claims upload speeds of “up to 25x faster than Optimum's cable network.” But, Optimum is good for those on a budget.
Optimum TV customers can now access Hulu content through an interactive program guide on TV channel 605. Those who already subscribe to Hulu, which has packages starting at $7.99 a month, can sign in through their TVs.Can Optimum lower my bill? ›
Yes, all Optimum customers with current Internet service who have qualified for ACP can call us at 866.347.4216 and ask for the “ACP FREE OFFER”. This offer can be applied to an existing Optimum Internet service at any time during the duration of the program.Do I need both a modem and a router? ›
Do I Need a Modem and a Router? If you wish to use WiFi or connect numerous devices, you'll need both a modem and a router. You can only connect one computer at a time because most modems only have one LAN Ethernet connector, but a modem won't provide the same level of protection as a router.How much do you pay monthly for a router? ›
Technically, there is no monthly Wi-Fi bill, since Wi-fi is just how you access your internet wirelessly. But some internet service providers charge an extra fee for Wi-Fi enabled modems and routers. Usually, the average Wi-Fi cost for this is $5–$15 a month.Can I just buy a router and get internet? ›
Most Internet providers allow you to purchase your own modem and router separately, or a device that contains both—it's up to you. Both options connect you to the Internet.
Can you negotiate asking price? ›
In a buyer's market, it can be reasonable to offer as much as 20% under the asking price if the home requires extensive repairs, such as replacing the roof or if there are foundation issues. Offers of 5 – 19% under price are also acceptable depending on the need for remodeling or upgraded appliances.Is it worth offering the asking price? ›
Many people put their first offer in at 5% to 10% below the asking price as a lot of sellers will price their houses above the actual valuation, to make room for negotiations. Don't go in too low or too high for your opening bid. If you make an offer that's way below the asking price, you won't be taken seriously.What is price negotiable? ›
Price negotiable is a sales description of an item, product or service that has a price not firmly established. For example, a new or used vehicle has a suggested purchase price, though often it's negotiable, especially with factors like trade-in vehicles, financing or leasing.What are the five 5 rules of negotiation? ›
- 1) SHUT UP and Listen :
- 2) Be willing to Walk Away.
- 3) Shift the Focus Light.
- 4) Do Not take it Personally.
- 5) Do Your Homework.
The “Golden Rule” of Negotiating: never let a negotiation come down to one issue… ever! Why? Because, by definition there is a winner and a loser.What are the 5 rules of negotiation? ›
- Information Is Power—So Get It.
- Maximize Your Leverage.
- Employ “Fair” Objective Criteria.
- Design an Offer-Concession Strategy.
- Control the Agenda.
Optimum internet speed and data
We recommend 300 Mbps download speeds as a good starting point for most small families, and Optimum offers 300 Mbps plans with its cable and fiber service. If you need faster speeds for a larger household or an at-home business, Optimum's internet goes up to 940 Mbps.
|Optimum plan||Download speed||Upload speed|
|Optimum 300||300 Mbps||20 Mbps|
|Optimum 500||500 Mbps||20 Mbps|
|Optimum 1 Gig||940 Mbps||35 Mbps|
A spokesperson for Altice said that the company notified customers of the change through their billing statement and capped the increases to “ensure that no one customer was overly impacted.” The price hikes are due to the “rising cost of programming, which continues to impact pay-tv pricing industrywide,” the ...Why is my Optimum cable bill so high? ›
This is mainly due to the increasing demand from customers and providers like Optimum that offers premium services.
What happens when you cancel Optimum? ›
Canceling Optimum service
Make sure that your account is fully closed and any equipment is shipped back by the end of whatever billing cycle you want to be your last. You'll be billed for an extra month if you run into a new billing cycle, and Optimum doesn't prorate your bill after your service is cancelled.